The Importance of Decal Quality
Your dirt bike is no gilded lily. It’s a beast designed and built to attack the course, trail, circuit, desert, beach or wherever else you feel like taking it. It should be an unmistakable expression of who you are but when you saddle it with cheap dirt bike graphics that’s all anyone will see. And make no mistake, anyone who knows anything about decals will pick out your cheap decals a mile away. Maybe that doesn’t bother you. But if it doesn’t then why bother having decals at all?
While it’s true that your graphics won’t make your engine more powerful or allow you to smash through that turn any faster or land any smoother it’s also true that if you just slap a bunch of dirt cheap graphics on your bike it’s going to reflect poorly on you and your sponsors. Even if you bought your dirt bike just to join your friends for some fun on the logging road near your house high quality graphics will help protect the plastic components of your bike from scrapes and scratches and keep it looking factory fresh for a lot longer.
So How Can You Tell Cheap Graphics from Quality Ones?
- Material thickness – Most dirt cheap graphics are made of paper thin vinyl; often 6 mils or less. This is so thin that even the lightest brush by a branch or stout bush is going to penetrate the plastic, opening up a slash that will only grow over time allowing moisture and dirt to seep in under the decal and causing it to peel and flake. If you work your bike hard you want the decals to be at least 20 mils thick. This way they’ll hold up to whatever the trail or course or desert or whatever throws at them.
The fact is the thinner the material the less durable it will be, the shorter the lifespan it will have, the harder it’s going to be to position it properly, the harder it’s going to be to ultimately remove it and the weaker will be the UV protection. In the end you’ll wind up replacing them with high quality graphics anyway, so save yourself the time and wasted money by just opting for high quality decals to begin with.
- Inks – In order to save money makers of crappy dirt bike decals will use whatever cheap inks they can get their hands on. These discount inks typically have little or no protection from the sun’s UV rays. They’ll look good alright when you first put them on but after only a few weeks in the sun you’ll notice they’re starting to bleach out. In short order your bike will look 10 years old and sponsors are going to start ringing you up asking what’s going on.
- Adhesives – Another trademark of lousy bike decals is inferior adhesives. If the adhesive that holds the decal to the tank or fender or whatever is cheap you’ll notice your decals beginning to pull away at the edges almost immediately. If you contact the manufacturer to complain they’ll usually try and say you didn’t clean the tank or fenders good enough before you applied the decals. But you know yourself and you know that fender was so clean you could eat off of it. So what happened? Discount adhesives happened.
The OMX Difference
At OMX Graphics we take great pride in the dirt bike decals we produce. We’re committed to making sure you look your best from the time you arrive at the track to when you cross the line under the checkered flag. Every one of our decals is fashioned from the highest quality materials using state of the art printing processes and the best colorfast inks on the market.
We understand that dirt bike decals are no laughing matter and as such we approach the design and fabrication of each and every one of our graphics with the same care and relentless attention to detail. Every pre-made and custom order graphic we sell is:
- Printed using the highest quality UV resistant inks available.
- Printed using our state of the art digital printers. The same kind used to produce graphics for all of the world’s leading MX champs.
- Printed on ultra-aggressive media engineered specifically for the rigors of MX.
- Backed with ultra-durable adhesives that won’t fail you in the short or long term.
- Finished with a durable laminate coating to ensure long life.
- Cut to exacting tolerance using laser guided tools.
The Bottom Line
If you go ahead and buy some discount graphics based solely on the price you won’t be the first. You also won’t be the first to learn the hard way about the importance of decal quality, or the first to spend a couple of days a few months later trying to scrape that junk off of your tank, fenders and number plates. Nor will you be the first to realize you should have just purchased beautiful, durable, xddd from OMX Graphics to begin with and saved yourself a lot of money and headaches.
Do right by yourself and your dirt bike. Always choose high quality dirt bike decals from OMX Graphics.